Once you get to the Dubai desert, the urge to explore the mysterious sand will be irrepressible. However, the desert can be quite a challenge for first-timers so making adequate preparations for your adventure is essential.
If you wish to venture into the desert, below are the different types of safari tours you can enjoy.
- Morning Desert Safari – If you’re not that interested in dinner and camping, this is the right option. Those who don’t have the time to prepare for an evening safari can enjoy this as it offers quite an interesting adventure tour. The desert safari allows for 20 minutes of fun dune bashing together with exciting camp journey where you can enjoy a camel ride at JA Al Sahra equestrian centre or sand skiing.
- Evening Desert Safari – If you want to enjoy star gazing without any interruption, this is a must-try tour. From the afternoon, you’ll rest at the nearest camel farm then get a chance to witness sunset in the sea of sand. If you’re in the mood for a celebration, you can enjoy a delectable barbecue dinner as you watch belly dancers perform at the campsite.
- Overnight Desert Safari – Don’t forget to bring a camera with you to get a photo of the breathtaking sunrise in the sandy desert of Dubai. After dinner, you can bask in the peaceful sound of the wind blowing through the sand. For a night stay, don’t forget to bring with you some extra layers, blankets and a sleeping bag as the desert can become extremely cold at night.
Once you’ve decided on which type of desert safari tour to take, consider the following tips for a safe, comfortable, and fun adventure.
1. Visit between the months of November and March
The best time to visit Dubai is between November and March as this is the period with the best weather which allows you to experience moderate and tolerable heat.
Dress modestly as your skin may suffer some serious sun damage even in the cooler months. Make sure to wear shoes or sandals that you can take off easily so that you can shake the sand off with no trouble.
The Dubai desert can be extremely hot during summer and daytime temperatures can reach more than 50 degrees. So if you are coming to Dubai in the heat of summer, be sure to take special care to avoid heat stroke.
2. Pack your essentials
When going for a safari tour, and especially when you’ve signed up to participate in desert sports, make sure you have the following items with you:
- Extra food and water
- Mobile phone and charger
- First aid kit
- Sunblock or sunscreen
- Extra fuel
- Sunglasses and hat
- Sleeping bags and blankets
- Sand mats
- Global positioning system (GPS)
- Tow chain or rope
- Signal mirror
- Work gloves
The more prepared and careful you are during your desert trip, the safer and more enjoyable your adventure will be. Don’t let the adrenaline rush get the best of you, and always make safety your priority.
3. Grab the best deals
Before you rush to the Dubai desert, book a suitable accommodation first. When booking your stay in Dubai, rates vary so make sure to compare and select accordingly. If you’re going with your whole family, take advantage of family holiday offers to get the best deals at reasonable prices.
Check online reviews to ensure that the hotel you’re staying in is a reputable one. Do the same when booking your safari trip to find the best desert safari company that will ensure you experience an unforgettable and wonderful sand adventure.
4. Know what to do when stranded
Normally, you should have at least one person with you when travelling in the desert. However, if you are separated from your group, don’t panic and stay calm.
Here’s what you should do:
- If you are driving a vehicle and it breaks down, call the person in charge or the police immediately.
- Don’t walk and wander aimlessly as you will end up being farther off for anyone to reach you.
- Don’t drink or eat too much and try to ration your supplies until you’re sure the rescue team will arrive.
Same as with any adventure, follow strict safety guidelines to make sure your Dubai desert adventure will be a truly enjoyable and unforgettable one.
Thomas Grundner is the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for JA Resorts & Hotels. He has more than 20 years of expertise in the hospitality and leisure industry – across international markets including Germany, Egypt and Spain. Grundner oversees all sales, marketing and revenue efforts as the company continues to build on its key growth and development strategies and further cultivates its unique blend of “Heartfelt Hospitality” and “Casual Luxury.”